Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Protein Requirments for ATHLETES

Due to a few fellow students concern about protein requirements for people who are active here is a follow up to those questions. This article is from the ACE, the American Council of Exercise. To give a summary the article says that athletes primary fuel source is carbohydrates as we all know. Correct me if I am wrong but when you are an athlete 70% of your diet should be carbohydrates.

The article goes on to say that athletes DO NOT need more protein for competitive weight lifting saying, "The ADA does not support the notion that the protein needs of a competitive weight lifter are greater than the average individual. The official ADA position is that a well-balanced diet will provide the dietary protein a weight lifter needs."

The article did mention a person that works out at high intense aerobic such as a competitve runner, cyclist saying, "The American Dietetic Association (ADA) recommends increased protein intake only for individuals involved in intense aerobic training (greater than 70 percent VO² max). "

YET you have to take into consideration "that since average Americans, including most athletes, already consume one-and-a-half to two times the RDA, it would appear that athletes do not need to increase their protein intake."

If you want to check out the original article: http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitnessqa_display.aspx?itemid=271

6 comments:

KC said...

Great wrap up for many questions. I did go to the article and actually printed it out to share with a good friend of mine, who is always concerned about his protein intake. I think the protein craze (bars, shakes..) is a little out of control and this article does a nice job summarizing the "real" needs - thanks!

OLD SCHOOL #55 said...

Hey Andrew!
Thanks for your comment. Before I answer your questions, here's one for you: how is Nate Prince doing these days? When I first arrived a year ago last August he had just been in the accident. It was fun running in the 5k fun run and finally meeting him at the hospital in SF. Just wondering. It was a miracle that he had come so far so quickly.

As for "Old School," nope--never played FB in my life. In fact, the last time I officially wore a team uniform was at 12 years old in Little League. But it had been a lifelong dream. My undergrad college had no FB team so this was my first chance (HS was basketball only, too.) Needless to say, it's been an amazing year that I'll never forget. Already getting sad about senior night tomorrow. (This was all the eligibility I had left.)

As for YOU losing a lb. a week--I know you had to be kidding! Take care & GO JACKS!
-TD

T_Souza said...

I really enjoyed the information in the article Andrew. I have heard some conflicting information about protien consumption recommendation. Whne someone is not simply active but is constantly tearing and rebuilding muscle through a heavy weight lifting program, wouldn't they benefit from consuming more protein so that it would be available for muscle repair?

Refflection said...

This makes sense to me. Based on the recent readings, it seems that a lot of athletes think they need more protein than they really do. But they're probably doing more harm than good by overindulging. I believe 60% of your energy food should come from carbs if you're an active athlete.

OLD SCHOOL #55 said...

Thanks for the report on Nate. Was exactly one year ago that I first met him in the hospital in SF. Glad to know he's responding well to the therapy and enjoying life back at home. Enjoy the rest of your senior season, Andrew! Happy Thanksgiving!

Libby Kimmett said...

I think that that is interesting about the proetein requirements. I have always felt that people ut yoo much emphasis on protien and all of those protein shakes and bars ou there. I agree that most people already exceed the requirements for protein in there diet with all of the cheese and dairy products consumed.